Thursday, January 7, 2010

Edwardian Monica

For those of you who have wondered, "If we were all to go back in time and rid ourselves of this awful current administration, and transport Edwardian Society onto our Continent, just what would Monica look like?"

You no longer need to worry your pretty little head about it, because we have photographic proof. Here is Monica in the dress I made. Many of you have already heard me go on and on about it. Now you can see it. The pattern came from Sense and Sensibility, and is based on a gown design from 1906. Juan suggests that I now try to impress people by throwing in some details about knife pleats and pin tucks, but I don't actually know what those things are. The sad truth is, that if I could sew it, the pattern was probably simple enough for a box turtle to make.

A few little mistakes not visible in the picture, but overall I'm happy with how it turned out. For Easter, I'm hoping to send Monica to the Regency period so she'll look like a Jane Austen character. But I'm going to have to learn what pin tucks are first.
Juan here: Am thinking of hiring out Heather to make dresses for people. Any takers? Go to the link above if you get a chance. There is a young lady on the main page. She looks like a certain 10 year old we know, only 5 years in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment