Saturday, May 15, 2010

Deep In The Heart of Northeast Texas

Every once in a while, I get to go visit friends out of state, while the rest of the family suffers along without me. In 2007, I was able to go to Texas to visit a friend from Junior High. Ready to visit the Northeast corner of the Lone Star State?

Let's go!

So one of the first places Juan tells me to go eat at is Randy White's BBQ.

Then my hosts ask each other, "Hey, didn't that place close last year?" It did. Here is the shell of a once fine BBQ joint.

St. Joseph's Chapel in Greenville. It's too small to have it's own priest. He has to come from a larger parish out of town.



Did I mention there were a LOT of Bluebonnets around?

Texans are very proud of their state, and seem to consider it a civic duty to display the state flag somewhere on their property. We don't know who these people are, but they went way above and beyond the call of duty by painting the flag on the side of their shed.

Don't know what these flowers were called, but I thought they were pretty.
This is an old cemetery in Greenville. Most of the tombstones date to the 1800's.
The cute little City Hall and the Fire Department in Pecan Gap, which was the nearest town to where my friends lived.

The busy streets of Pecan Gap.

An actual Storm Cellar!

Smaller population than the amount of people who go to Holy Mass at Mission San Juan Bautista.



Tornado Warning Siren.

The fun part of living in the country is that you get to have ducks.

My host's house (at the time, they have since moved back to CA.)

Check out the cowboy boots our Lord is wearing. Only in Texas.

Nearby is the town of Paris, Texas. As you can guess...
It has it's own Eiffel Tower, complete with a cowboy hat to top it off.
As posted elsewhere, my hosts took me for a one hour visit to Hugo, Oklahoma. The original plan was to have a day long drive to visit Shreveport, Louisiana; Texarkana, Arkansas; and a corner of Oklahoma.

However...

The weather started to turn bad, and the weather reports were saying that there was a Tornado warning for the area of the country we were in. We did not want to get stuck several hours away from home, so the plan changed. We instead went to Hugo, Oklahoma, which you can see in the post linked above.

Dawn over Texas on my last day there.
Come back again for my Photo Essay of Uzbekistan!

No comments:

Post a Comment